Wednesday 4 September 2013

Wargames Illustrated 311 - A Pleasant Surprise

As a wee treat to myself, I picked up this months Wargames Illustrated.  The primary reason was the Steppe Tribes battle board and faction rules for Saga that are in this issue.  Actually a bit of a sore point, I lost the Byzantine rules during one of this years frequent house moves, now I'll have to actually buy another book to get them.  Not this time.  Don't envisage collecting a Nomad warband, but you never know.

AWI? Ugg, no thanks.

I lost interest in WI when I gave up playing Flames of War and that, coupled with a few themes I didn't enjoy, means I haven't bought WI in months.  I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the content this issue.


In Saga terms, these guys look really annoying to play against.
The theme of the issue, the Philadelphia campaign, really doesn't do anything for me, but the coverage isn't as exhaustive as it has been in the past.  I really enjoyed the Longstreet designer notes, articles on the English Civil and First Chechen War and found the modelling article useful.  I even found the Flames of War battle report relatively engaging.

Although I don't see myself picking it up every month (I get every issue of the excellent Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy,)  I'll make sure and have a closer look at future issues.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I have enjoyed the few copies I have picked up and will keep a loose tabs on the issues as they come out (and I remember)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I still can't make out I buy it each month then moan as I flick through the million FoW pages.....groannnnnnn.
    WS&S for me too!

    ReplyDelete