Sunday, 4 November 2012
Not another list - Are You A Proper Wargamer?
At the risk of spreading more viral nerd nonsense, I feel obliged to compare myself to Phil's "Are Your A Proper Wargamer?" list:
* Spent at least £500 on figures / tanks - and you get extra kudos for every £500 you've spent
Oh yeah, easy. Gaming on and off for 20+ years. I wonder how inflation affects my classic Chaos Dwarf army?
* Pricked your finger or thumb on a pike block - several times
Yup, not just pikes. Swords, bayonetted, alien claws, you name it.
* Tried at least 10 different rule sets and vowed never to play half of them ever again
Tried plenty of rule sets over the years, but only a handful I'd never play again (DBA stands out. Can't stand it!)
* Sold an army on EBay
Easy, just sold some WW2 Germans recently, probably retired a dozen or so armies over the years.
* Bought an army off EBay
Although, oddly, I'm a bit of a snob about buying other people's painted minis online.
* spent months painting an army - then used it in anger once
Can't say I've fallen for this. Yet.
* tried several different periods and genres
All over the place here. Historical/Sci-fi/fantasy. Tiny, tiny ships all the way up to 54mm skirmish.
* dropped a box of figures on the floor from a great height
Nope, far too careful for that!
* lost a battle on the last throw of the dice
Plenty of times. Usually Flames of War or something similar and failing the company morale check.
* made at least one enemy for life
Proper enemy? Nah, but quite a few regular opponents.
* had a proper, stand up argument over a wargamers table
Obviously over 40K back in my teens, although, in my defence, I was right.
* thrown a dice across a room
In frustration or enthusiasm. Either way, done both.
* rebased an army for a different rule set
Hmmmm, something I've never done. Usually I just adjust the rules to fit the figures we use.* inflicted a whopping defeat on an opponent
Plenty, notably this years Dystopian Wars tourney. Been on the receiving end a few times too though.
* suffered an embarrassing defeat due to a stupid tactical decision
Errr, a couple weeks ago. Lost a game of X-Wing due to not being able to tell my left and right when my ships were facing me.
* joined a wargamers club
Joined the Aberdeen Wargames Club last year. Played more games than I have done in years, even if there are a few grumpy goats there.
* bought a ton of lead that remains unpainted
Psssshhh. Not even answering that.
* been to a wargamers show
Went to my first one this year, Falkirk. Highlight was the tiny Epic 40K tables. Lowlight? The gamer funk at the 7TV/Malifaux room.
* have more dice than is logical or necessary to own - and have used most of them
How many dice is too much? There are probably a few hundred dice in the house and definitely rolled most of them!
* have taken boxes of troops down to a club just to show them off to your mates
Nah, that's what t'internet is for, isn't it?
So that's only fourteen out of twenty? I guess I'm not a proper wargamer then? Still, I play more than just wargames, so the omissions here are surely forgiveable Great list by Phil btw, make sure you check out the original post here.