Tuesday, 29 March 2011

A couple units and a failed experiment.

Another busy week on the free time front.  In between the cricket and the Formula 1 coverage, I managed to knock out a couple of units from the to-do box.

A German Mortar Platoon for Flames of War was first off the desk.  I'm really happy with these - it's the first 15mm unit where I've painted insignia on the helmets and epaulettes.  Next time I'll try and add collar insignia and any other markings, after I've done a bit of research though.  I'm not too happy with the photo quality here; a lot of the depth seems to have been washed out - especially the flesh.  We'd like a better photo set-up; currently we're using a bit of card, daylight and a heap of desk lamps!

Managed to get another unit finished last week, some 15mm Ancient Greek Slingers made by Xyston miniatures.  I think they've turned out at a decent standard, but the skin turned out to be a bit too pink compared to what I had planned.  Still, they look good on the tabletop.

The slingers are up on the Bay at the moment, the mortars have already sold.

I've been painting quite a lot of 15mm stuff lately, so I thought I'd paint up a couple 28mm figures for a change.  Thought this would be a good opportunity to try and improve my technique for painting skin.  That was the theory anyway.

Here's one of my typical 28mm figures:

Not bad, but I think the skin is a bit too orangey/pink.

Here's what I tried last week:

Hmmmmm.  Not what I had planned. The shading is waaay too stark and I've no idea what I was doing with the eyes.  I'm not sure whether I'll continue with this guy, or just strip the paint and try again.  

Next up, some more Flames of War and hopefully some malifaux minis.


No comments:

Post a Comment