Tuesday 20 March 2012

Empire of the Blazing Sun - WIP



   
Managed to get a few hours painting in today, mainly trying to get the last of my Dystopian Wars fleet finished.  These three Tanuki Class Gunships are almost done.  The white hull, decking and metallics are all finished, with only the windows, red detailing and lower hull needing work.


   
The Tsukuyomi War Gyro has proven a bit of a problem.  After the first coat of paint, I couldn't decide whether or not to cut out the gaps between each individual turbine.  If I'd left them in there would be plain flat panels that wouldn't (in my opinion) look right painted or left black.  On the other hand, the way the model is cast, you can't cut out all the flat panels (some are too close the main structure, others are just too small,) which might still not look right.


I've still to cut out the two leftmost panels
   
I couldn't find a painted example anywhere in a quick search online, so just decided to hack away at it.  Although it took a while to make any progress (the resin was deceptively thick) I'm happy with how it turned out.  It won't stand up to close scrutiny, but for the quick paint job I'm doing, I think it will look fine.


I just don't know how you would paint the panels and have it look good.
    
After these guys, it's just ten tiny flyer tokens and the fleet is finished.  

1 comment:

  1. Your a braver man than me, I thought about cutting up my War Gyro like you have but I didn't want to wreck the model. Good job by the way, it does make it look much better.

    ReplyDelete